Saturday 10 February 2018

Long way for nothing

What kind of a fool doesn’t make absolutely sure the game is on before setting off on a 190-mile round trip to Burton Latimer?  Me that’s who.  It was a drizzly, chilly kind of day in the corner of Worcs where I live, but a quick glance at the club website confirmed that the attractions of the Tiverton fixture were still the lead news item, so off I went.  Couple of hours later, first hint of something amiss was the absence of parked cars around the entrance to the ground. And where was the away coach? And why was the car park so empty? Plus weren’t they leaving it a bit late to open the turnstiles??

On the return journey, which was a little earlier than usual, the realisation slowly dawned that on checking the website earlier, it was possible – no let’s say highly likely – that I hadn’t remembered to hit the refresh button.  With the benefit of now having done so, I see ample warning of the possibility of a postponement, followed by confirmation many hours before the match was due to occur.  So I’ll scratch that irate email and chalk this one up to experience.

Next week – how I went to the wrong St Ives and confused Newport County with Newport I.O.W.
 
Note to self: use this

2 comments:

  1. I may have laughed at your misfortune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See todays game is off too.

    Thought the drains put in a year or two ago were supposed to stop all this waterlogging !!!

    Perhaps the club and those that contributed to the cost should be asking for their money back !!!

    ReplyDelete