Tuesday 8 March 2011

Luck of the draw

By complaining recently about the half time draw odds being permanently stacked against him, my dear friend GL omitted to mention that he does have personal experience of the other side of the coin.

I can’t think how it slipped his memory.

Early in the 2006/07 season, he had the great pleasure of telephoning me to impart the news that I had won the Club 500 draw, as I think it was still known. The revelation that he was in fact incurring overseas call charges (I was sunning myself somewhere warm) obviously added to his delight.

Needless to say, on my next trip to Rockingham Road he was quick to congratulate me again on my good fortune, remarking that it couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.
Imagine therefore the reaction when, at the interval, I won the draw again!

To this day we still chuckle about it. Well, one of us at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment