Sunday 13 March 2011

The injustice of it all!

Has any team ever left Rockingham Road with less rights to our 3-points than Grimsby yesterday?  The former League team and their supporters showed nothing for the first 80 minutes of the game, except why they were now in non-league.  Their supporters were particularly poor - other than a quick "Boo" at half time they were the quietest group we've hosted all season.  Yes, Diamonds included.

And yet their team managed to do something we'd failed to do for most of the game.  They took their chances.  Unlike our strikers who wasted chance after chance during the second half, the Grimsby lads made the net bulge when it counted.  Yet again we were undone by a moderate team in the last 10 minutes.  And we all knew it was coming didn't we?  As missed opportunity followed missed opportunity we all knew we'd end up paying for it in the end.

Suddenly, the home game with Histon assumes a larger importance than it did a handful of games ago....

However, the result wasn't the only injustice handed out yesterday.  Regular readers will recall my bizarre, almost Gaddafi-style rant at my lack of luck with various Poppies matchday draws. You may even recall PW's amusing counterpoint to my lengthy whinge at Madam Fortune.

Just imagine my delight then when John "The Bastard" Cecil drew out the Club 200 number of my better half during yesterday's break!  Whilst I was obviously happy for her (somewhere very, very deep down) I couldn't help feeling that someone somewhere was having a bloody good laugh at my expense.  Actually, I KNOW this was true, because all of my friends around me seemed to be heartily enjoying the situation.

My mood wasn't lightened by seeing JC grinning like the bloody Cheshire Cat as he wandered back from the main stand, past me to take his place for the second half on Cowper Street.  I like JC, but Lord, it's sometimes hard to resist beating him to death with a thick wedge of losing raffle tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment