Wednesday 27 January 2010

Def Com One at Harrington



I really must stop listening to Radio Northampton. For one, they are about to get rid of the bright and breezy Annabel Amos from the Drive-Time Show, whilst at the same time giving Joe Pignatiello an extra hour each day to grizzle to his heart's content.


They also have an almost pathological inability to cover the Poppies away games. Last night we were treated to the Cobblers on the radio, and online coverage of the Scum, live and exclusive all the way from Non Park.


Another reason for my sudden dislike of listening to RN is the amount of coverage given to all our tweedy NIMBY's, bleating about proposed windfarms. This morning I gaped into my fry-up whilst listening to a proposal for Harrington, which a local objected to because it would affect an archaeological site. The archaeological site in question being a piece of land where part of the UK's nuclear deterrent was stationed during the Cold War.





WTF?








This story threw up more questions than I could shake an ICBM at.


Did we really have a nuclear missile launch site barely half a dozen miles up the road? I've got to say, this put me an awful lot closer to ground zero of a pre-emptive Soviet strike than I would have cared for. I'd quite prepared myself for surviving WWIII and becoming a kind of Mad Max style hero in a post apocalyptic landscape littered with leather clad armies of freaks with Mohican hair-cuts, with bits of the Statue of Liberty scattered around.


And since when did a nuclear missile launching area count as as an archaeological site? I can't recall Tony Robinson and his happy gang of bearded weirdos unearthing an early Bronze Age Doomsday Weapon.

"So, what would Stone Age man have done on this site?"

"Well Tony, they would have used this Thermonuclear Missile launch site to nuke their enemies back to the, er, before Stone Age...."
And as for Harrington itself - I've looked at it on a map, and it's miles from the sea. So, where are the infamous "Harrington Docks" we all used to sing about? You know the song. It starts with the line, "My brother's in borstal" and ends with the proud statement about Dave Singh being my Dad!
As I say, more questions than answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment